Water Words Facts and Trivia* Researched from the Worldwide Web
*from The Pier Aquarium's Water Images, Water Words exhibit
1. Water is valuable. We can survive a month without food and only one week without water.
2. The human brain is 70-75% water, so is a living tree.
3. The lungs are nearly 90% water.
4. The average toilet uses 20.1 gallons of water per person, per day.
5. If it's yellow, let's be mellow! Save water. (Don't flush).
6. There are a number of ways to save water, and they all start with you.
7. Most of the world's people must walk at least 3 hours to fetch water.
8. Washing your hands with the tap running takes 2 gallons or more of water.
9. Rainwater harvesting: process of intercepting storm-water runoff and putting it to beneficial use. There is no higher quality source of water available to us than rainwater.
10. A 3/4 inch garden hose used for 15 minutes uses 132 gallons of water.
11. Water is finite. The water you drink may contain molecules that dinosaurs drank years ago!
12. By 2025, two-thirds of the world's population -- will likely have water shortages.
13. There is no more fresh water now than two thousand years ago when the human population was only about 3 percent of its current size.
14. Freshwater animals are disappearing five times faster than land animals.
15. Turning the water off while brushing your teeth will save 80% of water used.
16. Don't water your lawn on windy days. After all, sidewalks and driveways don't need water.
17. The United States consumes water at twice the rate of other industrialized nations...
18. Yet 75 percent of Americans are chronically dehydrated.
19. At this moment, 20% of all the toilets in American homes are leaking right now.
20. Fixing a Leaking toilet will save 140 Gallons of water each week!
21. Drop an ice cube when filling your glass? Drop them in a house plant.
22. Take a Navy-style shower: Get wet, turn off water, soap up, then rinse.
23. Do one thing each day that will save water. Even if savings are small, every drop counts.
24. The average clothes washer uses 15 gallons of water per person, per day.
25. Use the wastebasket - not the toilet.
26. Newer low-flush toilets save about two gallons a flush.
27. Every living thing on this planet depends on water.
28. Collect the water you use for rinsing produce and reuse it to water houseplants.
29. Recycle water by washing your car with a hose and bucket on the lawn.
30. Lack of water, the #1 trigger of daytime fatigue.
31. Agriculture consumes almost 70 percent of the world's water.
32. One that leaks a drop a second wastes 2,600 gallons a year!
33. Fish don't need your high cholesterol drugs. Don't flush your prescriptions down the toilet.
34. The human body depends on water.
35. It takes 1,000 tons of water to produce 1 ton of grain.
36. Do one thing each day that will save water. Even if savings are small, every drop counts.
37. Over 90% of the world's supply of fresh water is located in Antarctica.
38. Really fresh water is found in the 7-million miles of water found in glaciers and ice-caps.
39. If we aren't drinking the water... where's it going?